Sunday, 20 February 2011

Midik Moleskin Mix 003



Bit of a gap from the last one, but totally worth it; for the third instalment in the series we've got american producer Midik bringing us a really unique 50 minute house and techno mix; pick up your laptop, Go sit next to the radiator, jam your head phones in and jus vyyyybe. I caught up with the man himself a few days before new years jus to see what he was sayin.


Who are you?

My name is James Kerley, I'm 30 years old, and I work as a web designer on the weekly 9-5 tip. My favorite color is red, but I gravitate to the color blue.  I’m a bit of a paradox.


How did you get into production; any influences?
I played guitar in a band in high school, started DJing in college, and then started tinkering around making edits of tracks on my computer a little later on.  It was a natural progression.  The biggest influence has always been my friends.  I think I’m just secretly trying to impress them. I grew up listening to everything from Tool to Jurassic 5 to Derrick Carter to Elvis.  Sometimes these influences come out in tracks I write, sometimes they don’t. Plus I just love music…all kinds, all the time. 

Can you describe your sound?
It’s a combination of a lot of things I suppose. It’s really random to be honest.

How much of a role has the internet played in the development of your sound?
It’s played a much bigger role this past year.  Since moving to a new town and not getting out as much, I tend to lurk around Soundcloud, blogs, and chat with friends online a lot more.  The internet has been my only real connection to the music world for the last 12 months.  It’s been a good thing I think.  Plus, I’ve made some really good friends.  People I wouldn’t have connected with otherwise.

Is there much of a scene where you live?
I just moved to Jacksonville, FL this past year, but Lexington, KY was home for 12 years before the move.  The scene in Lexington is small but the talent pool is deep as far as producers and DJs.  It’s an interesting place with unique dynamics I think. 
As for Jacksonville's scene...I don't know really.  I haven't gotten out much since I’ve been here and when I have it hasn't been to parties.  I've heard a few whispers about a party here or there, but haven't really made much of an effort to get involved. At the moment I'm pretty happy writing tunes and quietly doing my own thing at home.

Is there anyone you work with?
Nope, it’s just me.  I've talked to a few people about collaborations here in the states and in the UK.  It’s been pretty casual conversations thus far so we'll see what happens in the coming year.  Hopefully a few of them will pan out.    

Anything forthcoming/more productions?
There are a few things in the works for releases. Production wise, I'm always working on new tracks and revamping old ones. They'll be popping up on my Soundcloud page as I finish them up in the coming weeks and months.
  
Can you talk us through the mix a little; why you chose certain tracks, etc?
Sure.  The mix is based around tunes I've really been feeling this past year, a couple of my own tracks, a track or two from my past, and a few donated dubs/forthcoming tracks from some friends. Its my home team mix; me, Tommy (Mil-yoo), and Matt BandyIt's just tracks I enjoy listening to and that my girlfriend and I dance all silly to at home.

Anyone you're really into right now?
Yeah, lots of people.  To name a few:  The Refinery, Cosmin TRG, Jack Dixion, Sepalcure, Vessel, Milyoo, Hackman, Move D, James Fox....the list could go on and on. There's just so much good music out there at the moment.  I feel like I’m on good music overload, and I love it.

Anyone you think we should look out for?
I have a feeling this James Blake guy might get popular (kidding).

Plans for 2011?
Yeah, 2011 will bring some big changes outside of music.  Have plans to move to another state next summer; try to find a new job, new place to live, and everything that entails.  It’s exciting and stressful, but it’s a positive thing.  Music wise I plan to just keep writing tunes and hopefully release a couple in the coming year.  Really want to thank you guys for hosting the mix, I hope you enjoy it.  Happy New Year!






Check out the mix and if you like it (why wouldn't you) there's a download link at the bottom as well as a track Midik has made free to download; touch is a dreamy laidback stepper of a tune, which tragically never got fully completed due to a hard drive crash. Also worth checking are the deeper house flavours in the brilliant Koh Sa, complete with a cacophony of pitched vocals and a very playful bassline.



No comments:

Post a Comment